Monday, September 29, 2008

Yes, there is humor in yoga

As you may know, I've been in Colorado for a yoga conference. I realize I may have lost most of you by using the word yoga, but take a breath and hang with me a few more minutes. Hubby went with me and took a "Beginner's Conference" and surprised himself by enjoying it. More on that in a later post.

In the dining hall, we enjoyed the ever-so-active sport of people watching. That's right. We mentally rolled our eyes at the folks wearing turbans and the dude that looked like a Hari Krishna on the side of the road selling roses. Then there were the folks that appeared to take themselves and their yoga (whatever style or brand) way too seriously. But to align myself with yogic philosophy (taking a deep breath), I have to let folks express themselves in their own way. Sigh.

Back to the story. Believe it or not, there were some reasonably normal looking people. Of course I'm referring to me and hubby and all of our friends that attended the conference.

If we thought there were strange attendees, the presenters offered much more in the way of entertainment. I had a class Saturday that was in a dark tiny room. There was a small stage/podium for the presenter. It was decorated with a purple cloth on the back wall that draped down over a chair. This "throne" was surrounded by fresh flowers. It was pretty but weird. In walks the presenter. He looks like he is from India, even has a hard-to-pronounce last name. He's wearing an aloha shirt and loose shorts. He walks to the stage and stares at us. We stare back. He says nothing. He starts to unbutton his shirt. My eyes are getting bigger. I exhale as he has a shirt on underneath. He takes off his shorts. My eyes get bigger again. I exhale as he has another pair of shorts on. By this point, I'm getting really freaked out. I'm so hoping he doesn't take anything else off! I look at my watch and think to myself just 2 more hours.......

Then he starts his class opening. I won't go into that. It's just yoga stuff. After that he actually starts talking to us and making jokes. I relax. He is really a funny guy and knows his stuff. About halfway thru the session, he turns around and quietly stares at the "throne". After a very long minute, he says "If I were a guru, I'd sit there". We laugh. I breathe a huge sigh of relief and mentally thank him for not taking himself and yoga so seriously. I will say that there were some folks in the room that really think this dude is a guru. I just don't get that.

There was one presenter that had a band on the podium. They played "twangy" music while he directed the class. At the end the band performed a song while the presenter danced sitting down. The presenter seemed to forget about the 100 or so folks sitting on our butts waiting for class to end so we could go get a beer and some meat in town. Uh.....did I say beer? I meant waiting to go meditate ;-)

But basically, it was real people effectively using yoga in the real world. What a sigh of relief.

I'll leave you with this cartoon and no, it's not me. The boob (sorry guys, must be a wardrobe malfunction) is too big and I would never be able to get my leg THAT high!


The image “http://www.sangrea.net/free-cartoons/relig_yoga.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

4 comments:

Machinist said...

While I'm glad you had a good time my selfish nature is happy you are back. I needed the laugh today.

I hope you recycled the "enlightenment" containers.

Machinist said...

Is that Yoga Bare, of Jellystone Park?

ReformingGeek said...

LOL! I like that. It's funny as there really is a Jellystone Park. It's about 10 miles south of Estes Park. It's a campground. Silly, huh?

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try yoga. I feel like it is something that I would really enjoy.


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"